Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Monetize your web presence - part 2

Domains & Hosting

Typically the cost of a domain will run between $8.00 and $10.00 for registration.
I have used Microsoft’s Office Live where you can get a single domain and the hosting for that domain for free. Of course you have limited capabilities but can upgrade your account to include some of the capabilities for a monthly fee.

My second foray into domain ownership was with Google. You can either look at it that I am paying $10.00 per year for the domain and get the hosting for free or the domain was free and the hosting is $10.00 per year. Once again I have limited control over the web site. However I like the controls much better.

My third domain purchase was from GoDaddy. I paid $8.95 per domain. I’m hosting http://www.shermansmeed.com/ and http://www.americasbeachbum.com/ for free at leadhost. http://www.michiganbeachbum.com/ is hosted at home using my existing ISP. Right now the home site is not accessible because of my ISP’s port blocking. I have quite a bit of control with the leadhost sites and have absolute control of the site at home, which I love.
The fourth web presence management move is with Blogger. I have two Blogger subdomains that I manage. I have a fair amount of control with these two sites…much better than what I was expecting going in.

So do your research and choose the solution that works best for you. I hope these ideas give you a good start.

Coming up: Part 3 Producing content and advertising.

No comments: